Makes 8 Scones
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups plain flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tbsp black peppercorns, coarsely pounded
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 75g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ⅔ cups yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- brown sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper, baking soda and salt.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add yoghurt, vanilla and strawberry, mix until it forms a dough. Do not overmix.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal balls and pat it down to 2cm thick.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with the beaten egg, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool slightly and serve.
Food Docent’s Note: You can substitute strawberries with other berries such as raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. If you do not eat eggs, use milk instead for glazing.