Recipe 1: Black Pepper Udon
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 mins
- Black peppercorns, 1-2 tbsp
- Udon, 600g
- Oil, 2 tbsp
- salt, 1/2 tsp
- Onion, 1, sliced
- Garlic, 6, chopped
- Red chili, 1, sliced
- Leek, 1, sliced
- Portobello Mushroom, 8, sliced
- Snow pea, 24 pieces
- Bean sprouts, 150g
- Teriyaki sauce, 3 tbsp
- Sesame oil, 4 tsp
- Spring onion, 2 sprig sliced
- Chinese celery, 1 sprig chopped
- Chili flakes for seasoning
- Sesame seeds, dry roasted
Dry roasting pepper: On medium heat, dry roast pepper with constant stirring until it starts to crackle and move. Use a mortar and pestle and crush the black pepper when it is still warm. Keep it course.
- Blanch udon in hot water. Set the udon aside.
- In a wok over medium heat oil. Add 1/2 tsp salt and stir-fry for 10 secs. Add onion, chili, garlic and leek and stir fry for 3minutes.
- Add half of the black pepper, Portobello mushrooms, snow peas and continue stir-frying for about 3 minutes.
- Next add the bean sprouts and stir-fry for another minute.
- Add the udon noodles, sesame oil, teriyaki sauce, the remaining black pepper and salt.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute, turn off the heat and add in the Chinese celery, spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes if you like it hot and serve.
Food Docent’s Note: Add water or stock to the noodles if it gets too dry during the cooking. Serve it immediately as it taste best served freshly cooked.
Recipe 2: Black Pepper and Strawberry Scones
Makes 8 Scones
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 20mins
- Plain flour, 2 cups
- Light brown sugar, 1/4 cup
- Baking powder, 2 tsp
- Black peppercorns, 1 1/2 tbsp coarsely pounded
- Baking soda, 1/2 tsp
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Cold unsalted butter, 75g cut into small cubes
- Yoghurt, 2/3 cups
- Vanilla, 1 tsp
- Strawberries, 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Brown sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper, baking soda and salt.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add yoghurt, vanilla and strawberry, mix until it forms a dough. Do not overmix.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal balls and pat it down to 2cm thick.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with the beaten egg, and sprinkle wtih brown sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool slightly and serve.
Food Docent’s Note: You can substitute strawberries with other berries such as raspberries, blueberries and black berries. If you do not take eggs, use milk instead of eggs for glazing.