Recipe 1: Miso Soup with Tofu and Wolfberries
- 3 cups dashi stock (recipe as per below or buy the dashi stock cube to make dashi – but nothing like freshly made dashi)
- 1 tbsp wakame seaweed, torn
- 1- 2 tbsp wolfberries
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 100g silken tofu
- 1 tbsp spring onion, thinly slices
- Place dashi stock into pot on medium heat and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and add the wakame seaweed and wolfberries and let it simmer for 3 mins and turn off flame.
- Place the miso paste in another bowl and add about 1 tbsp of the hot stock and stir to mix. Add more stock to make it into a pouring consistency.
- Gradually add the miso paste into the pot of stock and stir. Add the tofu and serve with the spring onions sprinkled in it.
- You may season to taste with soy sauce and Japanese chilli powder or oil.
- 10 cm square of konbu , cut into 4 equal pieces
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup cold water
- 10g bonito flakes
- Wipe surface of konbu with a damp kitchen towel.
- Place water and konbu into pot on medium heat.
- Remove konbu just as the water is about to boil.
- Add the cold water and bonito flakes. Bring to boil and turn off flame.
- Let the bonito flakes sink to the bottom of the pot and then strain the liquid. Use as required