Recipe 1: Sago Puding with Gula Melaka and Fresh Fruits
- 4-5 cups water
- 2 pandan leaves
- 1 cup sago
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup gula melaka (palm sugar), chopped roughly
- 4 cups coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- Mango, Honey Melon, Honeydew
- Boil the water and 1 pandan leaf in a pot. Once it is boiling, add the sago and stir.
- Reduce the heat to medium and keep stirring. Continue stirring until the sago grains turn transparent, about 10 mins. Drain and add cold water to the sago to wash off some of the starch and discard the pandan leaf. Cool it and chill it in a refrigerator.
- In another saucepan, add the 1 cup water, 1 pandan leaf and gula melaka and heat gently heat it until the sugar dissolves. Discard the pandan leaf and cool the syrup.
- In individual serving bowls, place 4 tbsp of sago, add 1-3 tbsp of gula melaka syrup. Add the coconut milk, mixed with the salt and serve with fresh fruits.
Recipe 2: Lemongrass Kalamansi Lime Brulee
- 6 egg yolks
- 30-60 g Palm sugar, grated
- 250g heavy cream
- 2 lemongrass, smashed
- grate rind of 1 kaffir lime
- 60g condensed milk
- 100g-120g of kalamansi lime juice
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 mangoes, sliced
- In a double boiler on medium heat, whisk 3 egg yolks and palm sugar until it is thick and double in volume and leaves a ribbon trail with your whisk.
- In another pot, combine the heavy cream, lemon grass and kaffir lime rind and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and remove the lemongrass and discard it. Add a little of the cream mixture into the egg and palm sugar mixture while constantly whisking it, then whisk this mixture back into the hot cream. Return to the heat and, while whisking continually, finish cooking to a custard stage, approximately 1 or 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the remaining 3 egg yolks for 1 minute. Add the condensed milk and whisk for another minute. Add the lime juice gradually and whisk for 1 minute. Then mix in the hot cream and egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into 4 small serving bowls and chill in the refrigerator until needed.
- Before serving, sprinkle the a layer of sugar and place it under a hot grill until it melts. Serve it immediately with sliced mangoes.