Recipe 1: Iced Oranges (French)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- Orange zest of 4 oranges
- 14 medium oranges
- 6 tbsp water
- 8 fresh bay leaves/lime leaves
- Put the sugar in a saucepan. Add half the lemon juice, water and orange zest and cook over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to boil and boil it for 2-3 minutes until the syrup is clear. Leave to cool.
- Slice the tops off the eight of the oranges, to make ‘hats’. Scoop out the flesh of the oranges and place in a bowl.
- Put the oranges shells and tops on a tray and freeze it until needed.
- Squeeze the orange juice of the remaining oranges and from the reserved flesh. It should come to 3 cups. Squeeze more oranges to make up to the required amount.
- Stir the orange juice and the remaining lemon juice with the syrup. Taste, adding more lemon juice or sugar as per your taste. Pour the mixture into a shallow freezer container and freeze for 3 hours.
- Turn the mixture into a bowl, and whisk to break down the crystals. Freeze for another 4 hours more, until firm but not solid.
- Scoop the frozen mixture into the orange shells, mounting it up and set the hats on top. Freeze until ready to serve. Just before serving, push a skewer into the tops of the hat and push in a bay/lime leaf.
Recipe 2: Orange Semolina Cake (Greek)
125g butter ½ cup caster sugar 1½ tablespoon grated orange rind 2 eggs 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (optional) 1 cup semolina 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup ground almonds whole blanched almonds for decorating
- 1 cup yugurt
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut to small pieces
- Syrup: ½ cup caster sugar 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Place sugar and Orange Juice in saucepan. Bring to the boil and boil for five minutes. Cool slightly before pouring over cake
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line 20cm round tin.
- Cream butter, sugar and orange rind until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly. Stir in orange liquer if using.
- Combine semolina, baking powder and ground almonds and fold lightly into creamed mixture. Turn mixture into tin and arrange whole almonds on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and pour prepared syrup over hot cake. Allow to cool in tin, then remove.
- Serve cake with yoghurt topped with orange pieces.