Recipe 1: Mint Rice Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 mins
- 2-3 cups fresh mint leaves
- 1 green chillies
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cups rice, washed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- Pound mint, chillies, garlic and ginger using a mortar and pestle or use a food processor to get a fine paste.
- In a pot, add all the ingredients and bring the water to boil on medium heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered, until the liquid has evaporated and the rice is cooked, about 10 minutes. Fluff rice and serve hot.
Food Docent’s Note:
Get a rice cooker. A wonderful investment that will make your life easy and you will have perfectly cooked rice. Throw everything in it, turn it on, and when the rice is cooked, it will turn off by itself. For the amount of water to be used in the cooking of rice, use your index finger to measure. The amount of water above the rice level should be about ¾ inch. Watch my video for this tip.
Recipe 2: Rich Chocolate Mint Cake Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 250 fine sugar
- 4 tbsp mint leaves
- 125g unsalted butter,soften
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 125ml boiling water
- 75g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped
- 125g butter, soften
- 150g icing sugar
- 50g cream or ricotta cheese
- Preheat Oven to 180 degree Celsius and butter two 8in sandwich tins.
- Process the sugar and mint leaves in a food processor.
- Add butter and process until well mixed. Add cocoa, process briefly, then add eggs, milk, half the flour, and half the water. Process for a few seconds, scrape down the sides, then add the remaining flour and water. Blend together for a short time, until well mixed.
- Pour into the sandwich tins and bake for 20-25mins, until ready.
- Invert onto wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the icing, Melt the chocolate, then set it aside to cool slightly. Chop the mint finely, then beat it into the butter. Add the icing sugar and beat until it is light and fluffly. Finally, mix in the chocolate and ricotta and combine well until smooth.
- Sandwich together with half the icing, then spread the rest on the top.