Recipe 1: Curry of Beef (Cameroon)
NB: You may use chicken instead of beef but reduce cooking time accordingly. If you want to go vegetarian, use red, orange and green bell pepper instead of the meat and again reduce cooking time accordingly.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 slices ginger, julliened
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- black pepper
- 500g boneless beef, cut into cubes
- 1 cup pineapple, cubed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- coconut water from 1 young coconut
- flesh of 1 young coconut, cut into slices ( not too tender flesh)
- 1 mango, cubed
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute onion, chilli, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent, about 2 mins.
- Add the curry powder and cook for another 1 min, stirring all the time.
- Add the beef, salt and pepper and cook stiring well until the meat browns. Add some water, lower heat and simmer covered for 45 mins or until the meat is cooked. While simmering, check to see if the meat sticks to the pot. Add a little water to prevent this.
- Add the pineapple, raisins, coconut water, coconut fleah and mango and cook for 2 mins. Adjust taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with rice, salad and chutney.